Theme for the week: Trans* YouTube Experiences
Readings to discuss in class on Tuesday:
- Raun, Tobias. “Screen-births: Exploring the transformative potential in trans video blogs on YouTube.” Graduate Journal of Social Science 7.2 (2010): 113-127. [PDF]
- “GenderQueer in the Midwest” : http://transgroupblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/genderqueer-in-midwest.html
- ***My colleague (Benny) and his partner (Aaron) will be making a special video for us to watch and discuss on Thursday about Aaron’s experiences in TrannystarGalactica (below), a collaborative trans YouTube channel. They are willing to answer questions we have about the experience and process. After reading the above article and watching the video, please come with things you’d like to see discussed.
Additional material to discuss on Thursday:
(WARNING: POTENTIALLY NSFW)
THE VIDEO RESPONSE!
- “The T in GLBT, Transgender Roundup”: http://www.blogher.com/t-glbt-transgender-blog-round
- Examples of Trans* transitional YouTube accounts – please browse videos and reflect on blog:
Additional: SOFFA Support (significant others, family, friends, and allies of the trans* community): http://soffasupport.tumblr.com/